Saturday, October 5, 2013

Caleb's First Birthday!

{September 13, 2013} I can't believe, really that it has already been one year since this little guys was born!  I'm glad I looked back at THIS POST to remember that special day.  I forgot he had such dark hair...and now it's all blonde.  What a wonderful year it has been.  Having a boy has added a special light into our family and he is cherished and loved by all!
 Here is the "party decorations" all ready for him.  The girls were excited in the morning and wanted him to open presents before they went to school.  We even had pancakes for his birthday breakfast!
The little man wasn't too interested in presents and for about 10 minutes, he enjoyed chasing the balloons around on the ground. 
We had just got a new printer (Happy Birthday Caleb!) and so I made a fun birthday sign.  The girls wanted the "Baby Einstein" characters on a birthday cake and I knew that wasn't going to happen - so they made it to the sign.  Such a happy little boy!
The girls were unwrapping everything and he really wasn't interested.  It was kind of funny.
We did get a good picture with him and some new trucks.  (note: all birthday toys were saved from the baby shower toys that I got before he came.  haha!) 
We sure do love this little man, as if I haven't mentioned this before.  He is loads of entertainment.  Here are a few fun facts for us to remember:

*Until a week or two before his birthday he was the MASTER at army crawling and could get around QUICK!  He finally started on his hands and knees and now that is his main mode of transportation! 
*He loves to eat and feed himself.  He is quick to startle you with a high pitched scream if you are caught eating something and it's not on his tray.  I shared the syrup and waffle experience, but it happens with most things.  For example, tonight (Oct.5) we were eating frito laye with tortilla chips.  He had his usually frozen peas on his tray, waiting for his food to cool down.  Well - once I sat down and took a bite - AHHHHHHH!  I think the girls jumped.  Caleb didn't have taco meat and chips on his tray!  So, we gave him his food, and he kicked with excitement and carried on.  Silly boy!
*Sad truth - but I won't give up.  So far, this little man takes after his Dad and does NOT like potatoes.  We had mashed potatoes the other night and he gagged every time I tried to give him a bite.  This is the first food he has ever rejected.  I tried the next day at lunch, and he clenched his jaw and won't even try a bite.  I offered it a second time and he shook his head no!  AHH!  I love potatoes - so, we will keep trying!
*Caleb is quiet the conversationalist, if you have any idea what he is saying.  He loves to laugh at his own jokes too.
*Give this boy a ping-pong ball and a hard surface - toss said ping-pong ball so it bounces and you'll hear uncontrollable laughs.  SO funny!
*Give this boy Ali doing anything silly, and you'll also hear uncontrollable laughs.
*Anytime I go out of the room, Caleb darts straight to the stairs.  Before we jimmy rigged the gate so he couldn't go up them, he would quickly climb the stairs and head straight for the tub, knock the shampoo in and then start banging on the side like a drum.  Fortunately, he hasn't fallen down the stairs....yet.  But he loves to climb them
*Caleb hates shoes!  If you ever want to see him throw a fit, try to get a pair of shoes on his feet - good luck.  (I've yet to have success and if you see him with 10 pair of socks on in a snow storm, you'll know why!)
*Caleb is an all-around good little boy.  He's not much of a snuggler, but he does come and give you random small hugs.  He loves his sisters and his mom and dad.  He sleeps through the night, take a few good naps during the day and is generally a happy camper! 

We're so glad he is a part of our family!  Oh, and if you noticed, he didn't have a picture of a cake and candle and eating it and all of that.  Well - yes, unfortunately, the camera was MIA during that part of the day.  We didn't have a formal birthday party, but he did eat a cupcake, just not with a candle and on his own.  We were at a social for Shawn's work and so it was underplayed.  I still feel guilty about that one - but I'm sure we'll make up for it on year 2.  (haha)

1 comment:

KofoedFamily said...

Maybe the shoe thing is a boy thing...you know how Anders and shoes go. I hope that he will wear them for you soon since!