Saturday, September 28, 2013

Exploring New Hampshire.

We were fortunate to have Shawn's parents come to help in GA before we moved and my parents to come to NH after we moved. The kids were spoiled with grandparents, which I think really helped with the transition! Please....come again soon!  (Picture and text overload coming...)
Caleb definitely enjoyed his first ever powdered donut...the kid pounded the thing.  We were spoiled by enjoying lots of treats while grandma and grandpa were in town.  :)
{August 17, 2013} The first weekend, we drove into Boston and went to the temple with my parents.  A HUGE thanks to my friend Martha, who watched our kids.  Best.Babysitter.Ever  I don't know who else is willing to meet you at the temple, switch cars, take the kids back to her place to realize she gave me her house key - play with them for the 2+ hours we were gone, outside.  When we got out - we then drove her car (and keys) back to her house.  The kids were happy, Martha was alive and we were so grateful!  The Boston temple is beautiful - and I'll tell you what!  If you haven't been to the temple since the beginning of August....GET THERE!  NOW!  You will not be disappointed!  (of course, I have to note too.  As we were leaving the temple, some guy said hello to my Dad.  Ended up that he used to live in Orem, in the Aspen Stake, and now lives in Maine.  It's still true, you can't go anywhere with my Dad without him knowing someone!)
(PS - The children saw balloons and they wanted them - by Andie)
After the temple, we went to "Friendly's" for lunch.  We had a good time and all got an ice cream included with our meal.  (ps.  Friendly's has a brand of ice cream in the store - one of the BEST brands of ice cream I have ever had!) 
Ali and her "monster" ice cream.

I think Adalyn is very excited to eat ALL of those M&M's and ice cream by herself!

On the way home from Boston, we stopped at some revolutionary war sites.  We were educated of the civil war in the south and now we'll get to know the revolutionary war in the North.  Ali wasn't a fan of walking around - so we stopped and took silly pictures along the way.  Here I am with seal.
You can't tell, but the trees behind us formed a very cool circle!  We went to a small museum and watched a movie about Paul Revere's ride and learned about the minute men.

All the pretty flowers. 

When then stopped at another minute men statue and park.
Handsome little boy!

Minute Man Statue


{August 18, 2013} On Sunday after church, we headed up to the Joseph Smith Memorial.  What a very special place.  Remember that side note I told you about at the temple, and my Dad knowing someone everywhere you go.  That's right - same thing at the Joseph Smith Memorial.  Turns out that the current director used to be my Dad's Salt Lake contact while he was serving his mission in Russia.  Crazy, Small, Mormon world.  Because of that - we were spoiled, invited in for cookies and even got a golf cart ride out to the other sites. 
The church owns 400 acres around this memorial, to help preserve the sacredness of it.  They have a nice little visitor's center and a great tour.  I could tell you more about that when I go without my kids.  They were NOT very good listeners. 
But it was a beautiful day to get out, walk around and attempt a few pictures. 


Ali tooting her own tune!
This was a golf cart ride out to one of the original foundations of one of the homes on the Mack property.  If I remember right, this was a grandfather or uncle of Joseph Smith
Oh - right there - Grandfather.
This was a stone bridged used back in the day.
Uncle's foundation.  I am continually amazed and humbled as I read about pioneers and early saints of the church.  Here - they had a home, a small square home - and they were blessed, happy and lived fulfilling lives.  Can you imagine what they think and observe of our generation?  We desire for these huge, expensive, top of the line everything, big spacious home - when really, couldn't we all be truly happy in a little wooden cottage?  Sometimes I wonder and wish we I could live such a simple life as them.  No computers, technology, cars, mortgages, etc.  Life gets too busy and technology is taking over the world.  It's a good thing and a blessing (let's face it, I would have to be writing all of this by hand without it) but at the same time, I hope I can always recognize the simple blessings of life and be happy - not pinning over the latest and greats wants the world seems to deem as needs.
It was a great visit and we look forward to going back during Christmas time to see all the lights and live nativity.
{August 22, 2013}We ventured out to Portsmouth, NH on Thursday.  I had forgotten my camera, and so my mom and dad have them on their phone.  We drove out to the Ocean and took some pictures and had a picnic at this park.  It was another 2 hour drive from Keene, so my kids weren't too excited to get out and walk around.  We drove up to Maine and saw a lighthouse and a beach.  The kids had been in the car too long at this point, so it was pointless to try, even though getting out of the car would have been the best thing for them.  When we entered Maine, I think it was Andie who said, "How many states have we been in now?"  But it was not a very enthusiastic question.  Poor kids, within 2 weeks, they have spent 19 hours in the car from GA to NH, then 5-6 hours going to the temple in Boston, 3-4 hours driving to the Joseph Smith Memorial, then this trip was probably another 5-6 hours.  In all, 35 hours in the car, all within a two week period, I couldn't blame them for being sick of it.  It was kind of a downer on my parents, but oh well.  (this is why we have never driven to Utah....it's 35 hours one way!  ha!)  We still made memories!
We had a great time with Grandma and Grandpa.  They spoiled us to death and shared so much love.  Some of the funny highlights from their trip.  One morning, I took Shawn to school and then went to get my hair cut. My mom had some twinkies in the freezer and asked the girls if they wanted a twinkie.  They said, "What's a Twinkie?"  My mom said, "A yellow cake with cream inside."  She then proceeded to give them one, she said they were hesitant to eat it.  Ali even licked it and took a small nibble.  Once they realized it was a treat, they gobbled them right up!  When I got home, Ali said, "MOM!  Grandma gave us a yellow cake with cream inside of it!"  I said, "Oh, you got a twinkie?"  and she said, "Yeah!  Can I have another one?"  haha
Another thing, we went to ride bikes and yes, both of my lids still had their training wheels on their bikes.  My parents highly encouraged Andie to try it without hers, and so we took her training wheels off.  The poor girls was scared to death, but was willing to give it a try.  However, we too much pressure and too many eyes looking, she broke down and gave up.  We put the training wheels back on.  However, a week after they left - I talked her into letting us try again.  Uncle Steve gave us a good tip, to lower her seat so her feet could touch the ground.  So, we worked at it for a few days and now she is a free riding girl.  She had a friend over that also doesn't have training wheels, and she showed her a few tips.  I think that Saturday Andie rode her bike for nearly 3 hours straight.  She said, "It's just so hard to get off!  I love it!"  So, although the approach probably wasn't the best - thanks grandma and grandpa for the encouragement.  She LOVES riding her bike.
Some other fun memories.  Caleb and my mom would always play "Boo."  She would see him and say, "boo" and he would respond back with a shy, quiet "boo".  It was cute. 

Thanks for coming to visit.  We welcome any and all visitors any time of the year.  We had an extra bed for you - and are only 2 hours from Boston, and hour and a half from the Joseph Smith Memorial, just under 4 hours from NYC and 5 hours to Palmyra.  Just to name a few!

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

Looks like you ll are having a nice time in New England!! Jealous!